A Crazy Idea
After one particularly exhausting day, I had an idea - a wonderful, crazy idea! What if there were a way to capture all that "lost" talent and make it available to time-starved librarians in law firms, law schools, courts and corporate legal departments? By leveraging technology and capitalizing on the independent nature of most library work, I felt could create a virtual workforce of skilled librarians who could supplement the busy library staffs I knew.
I started talking to my friends and colleagues and the response was overwhelmingly positive. And so, Callinan the Librarian was born!
We have modest goals at Callinan the Librarian. We want nothing less excellence for all our clients. Our philosophy - implicit in the humor of our company name - is to combine our strength with that of our clients to achieve the highest level of professionalism in all we do. We aim:
To empower librarians . . .
- By serving as an extra “set of hands” in times of transition or growth;
- By encouraging individuals and teams to implement the newest technology;
- By supporting efforts to maximize the potential of services and collections through strategic planning.
To empower library patrons . . .
- By improving their access to library resources;
- By developing effective training opportunities.
Obviously, we can't do this alone. We need library decision-makers to embrace our business concept and identify projects for our team. If this business grows, as we ardently hope it will, we will also need to uncover more of the "lost" talent of our profession - those librarians who are not currently in the work force, but who still have much to contribute.